Edison, formerly known as Raritan Township, was first settled in the late 1600’s, when it was part of Woodbridge and Piscataway townships. Its first families included the Dunhams, Martins, Bonhams, Hulls and FitzRandolphs, to whom land grants were given.
Many of these names live on in the community in the form of street names and section names. But people have lived in the Edison area since prehistoric times. Skull and bone fragments from the Stone Age have been discovered in the Piscatawaytown area, and arrowheads and cooking implements, ascribed to Native Americans living in the area, were found in an archeological dig in the Dismal Swamp.
Website : http://edisonnj.org