In the early 1900’s, a group of farmers came by horse and carriage to Trenton to sell their produce right near the Trenton Makes bridge. As the thoroughfare between New York and Philadelphia, the Trenton Farmers Market continues to be the area’s best spot to shop for freshly harvested produce.
In 1939, in anticipation of the City of Trenton needing the property to build the infrastructure known as Route 29, the Trenton Market Growers Cooperative Association was formed and property was purchased on Spruce Street. The original market buildings were moved and the Trenton Farmers Market proudly opened in 1948. What began with three parallel buildings in 1948 became the current cross shape by literally cutting the center building in half and affixing it to the eastern building in 1968. Outdoor stalls gave way to an indoor facility with overhead doors to give the Market its open, outdoor look as soon as the beautiful weather and our farmers return each season.
Website : http://thetrentonfarmersmarket.com